Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Who Is Babe Hope?

I'm Babe Hope, the author of Pretty Plus: How To Look Sexy, Sensational and Successful No Matter What You Weigh. I'm also a stylist and personal shopper for women of all ages and shapes. My goal is to help women look their personal best. I love to empower women with tools to help turn their pity party into a pretty party! This is the message of "Talking It U.P." which I am so very happy to assume the helm of today!

A big problem women who wear plus sizes have is that much of the available fashion advice comes from fashion editors who live on tofu and lettuce leaves and therefore can't understand the angst and challenge of being a large woman. I get it because I face the same mirror you do, daily. I am a large, beautiful woman.

It wasn't always that simple for me. I haven't always felt beautiful. I weighed over 200 pounds when I graduated from high school. I've been on every diet. Decades later, I'm disappointed that I invested my energy and resources in diets instead of self-acceptance and in the sheer joy of a plus size pretty party. The opportunity was there, but I couldn't embrace it. Yet it is precisely that journey that led me to where I am today.

I'm excited to start this new year with you and Talking It U.P. Stick with me and I'll share all the secrets I've learned along the way.

A New Year's toast then to us, Girlfriends...The pity party was yesterday. Today we launch the pretty party!

Babe

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Ms. Hope, I read your book, "Pretty Plus" and I was encouraged by its positive message. Thanks for being a positive force for self-acceptance for women of all sizes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Serendipity,
Thanks for your kind words! Self-acceptance sure makes life a lot easier and a heck of a lot more fun!
Babe

Diana said...

For those who would like to know a little bit more about your illustrious blogger, there is an interview with her over at Fat Chic. Welcome to the blogosophere, Babe! Party on!

Unknown said...

Dear Babe, Thank you for your encouraging and kind energy! It's great!
I weigh 230,and am dieting because of health issues (heart, arthritis.)
But it feels so good to accept myself along the way; to realize that i am trying to be healthy, not impossibly skinny! And to have beautiful Ulla Popken fashions to wear is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Your comment made my day! What a great phrase: "kind energy"! I'm going to savor that for a long time. Thank you!!

Topazure said...

Ms. Hope, how wonderful to see you modeling Ulla's clothes! It is a delight to see how those beautiful fashions look on a "regular" woman -- and how truly lovely they look on you. Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Topazure,
I really appreciate the compliment, Thank you! "Personal best" comes in all shapes and sizes and it's ageless too.

I'm grateful to work with Ulla Popken, and be given the chance to celebrate this message.

Best,
Babe

Jeannine said...

Long story short - I love Ulla for the fashions they provide for us! And I loved reading your blog it was so positive!

Sloawnrivalka said...

Babe, thanks for helping ladies who have large beautiful bodies be a force of change in a world where the trend is to look at skinny women on runways of stylish upcoming ideal? getup and go. Yet stylish is for all women of diversely different bodies to fit in to a women's world accepting all women and not excluding some not fitting the ideal trendy outlook for other ladies to take note.
merci thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sloawnrivalka,
Thank you for beginning the new year with words of encouragement for all of us. I feel fortunate to be part of a company who is set on expanding and redefining "beauty."

Our new tagline for U.P Life is "Feeling Beautiful is Empowering" - truer words were never spoken!

Happy New Year and again, thanks for taking the time to comment.

Much appreciated,
Babe