Monday, June 13, 2011

Amazing Grace Tops


Look in your closet, the tops have it four to one. For every bottom we own, we probably own four tops. Purchasing a new top is a quick way to create a new look, a fresh look, with minimal expense.

I’ve coined the phrase Amazing Grace Tops when a top boasts four features:

  • It enhances YOU; your skin tone and coloring look amazing.

Look for tops that make your eyes pop and accent it with tonal jewelry.

  • It falls in a graceful drape that flatters (doesn’t try to hide) your curves.

Avoid boxy shapes and stiff fabrics. If you’re constantly pulling at or fluffing the top to make it stand away from puffy areas, it’s the wrong top for you.

  • It’s long enough to make you feel comfortable and pretty with your every move.

Try it on in the comfort of your home; sit, stand, walk and move around in ways that reflect your real-life activities.

  • It has a contemporary vibe.

A smaller investment than other wardrobe pieces, choose tops that are a little flashy, even trendy and well-embellished. Be playful!

If, in terms of fashion, you should ever feel “out of touch” or you look in your closet and it seems “out of date,” a true Amazing Grace Top just might save the day! What do you look for in a top?

Babe

Ulla Popken Stylist & Blogger

Be your personal best!

5 comments:

Deb said...

Babe, I agree, pulling at my blouses or t-shirts means I am not comfortable.
I have a couple of "Amazing Grace" tops, that's a great name for them, I feel great, but not big in them. I shy away from bright colors, I wear alot of black & white. Your suggestion is good, I will try to step out of my narrow mindedness. Thanks Babe.

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,
Thanks for posting!

My favorite cut seems to be a surplice neckline with a relaxed fit dropping to the bottom of the hip- nice and "graceful" and no pulling! I have the Ulla Surplice Tee, style #92545 in 2 of the 3 colors. Ahhhhh!

Babe

Anonymous said...

Hi Babe,
Have so enjoyed your comments and videos. I agree with your advice on the tops, but wish Ulla would have more summer skirts that are an appropriate length and in cool fabrics, in terms of both style and weight. This seems to be impossible to find.
Keep up the good work and I look forward to more videos.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anonymous :)

We are interested in learning more about what you'd like to see from Ulla.

What length skirts are you looking for and which fabrics really appeal to you?

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Babe

Anonymous said...

Hi Babe,
I like a length that is shorter, and comes right to the bottom of the knee. Most mid-calf or ankle length skirts seem make me look bigger.
Tencel is a great material, both lightweight and cool to wear. Cool-max type material, something that is light and doesn't wrinkle is a favorite as well.
It's hard to believe this type skirt and skort it so difficult to find, and I can't tell you how much time I spend looking. You'll never find me in a pair of shorts and I find the summer the most difficult time to find something casual and good looking to wear.
Hope Ulla can help.